Crime Prevention and Safety Advice on the Internet
We are quite often asked "where can I find crime prevention advice myself and how can I ensure that a trader is reliable". For those of you wishing to source your own information and have access to the internet, listed below are a few web links for crime prevention advice.
Police (non-emergency) - dial 101
- https://www.essex.police.uk/advice/ - a wealth of advice on different subjects, we have recently updated the Home Security section.
- https://www.essex.police.uk/do-it-online/ - you can report various incidents to the police online.
- https://www.police.uk/ - Crime maps of your local area, advice and more.
- https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/ - Very good nationwide independent webpage run by a retired "Met" Crime Prevention Officer. Uttlesford's Community Safety Officer's monthly crime prevention articles are also published here under the "News" heading.
- https://www.independentage.org/information/housing-options/home-security - One of many information sheets by this organisation.....look carefully and you will find a quote from our Community Safety Officer.
- There are also a number of organisations that provide security advice relating to that specific subject area such as https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice and in the search box typing in "Garden Security".
And a reliable trader?
Where possible have a word with family and friends to choose a trader by personal recommendation. Avoid contracting a door to door trader, you just don't know what you will get.
Remember YOUR DOORSTEP YOUR CHOICE.
Despite any sense of urgency from the trader or offer of a seemingly fabulous deal simply say "Leave me your details, I will speak to my family and get back to you if I want your services" if that special offer won't wait then it's not really a special offer!
- https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/ or 0345 4040506 - Traders checked out by Trading Standards.
- http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/ - Master Locksmith Association accredited locksmiths
- http://www.soldsecure.com/ owned by the Master Locksmith Association a source of finding tested and approved locks etc. with the appropriate level of security for your requirements.
- https://www.nsi.org.uk/ National Security Inspectorate and https://ssaib.org/ Security Systems and Alarms Inspectorate - Intruder alarm and CCTV accredited supplier and installers.
In an emergency or witnessing a crime being committed, dial 999.