Community led housing resources
Information on grants, advice, financing and legal formats for community groups who want to set up a community led housing scheme.
- Grants for community-led housing schemes
- Finance for community led housing schemes
- Publications from community led housing organisations
- Legal formats for community groups
- Video resources from community led housing organisations
We've put together a list of some of the most useful community-led housing resources, for groups at every stage of the process.
Grants for community housing schemes
You can apply to our Community Housing Fund small grants scheme of up to £2,000 to assist your community group to deliver affordable housing to meet identified need in your area.
Advice and support
Eastern Community Homes Hub
The Eastern Community Homes Hub has been established to provide you with advice, support and guidance on your community led housing project.
Community Led Homes
Community Led Homes is the new one stop shop for all information and resources on community led housing.
They focus on six forms of community led housing, including:
- Community Land Trusts (CLTs)
- community self-build
- Development Trusts
- housing co-operatives
- self-help housing
Finance for community led housing schemes
Start up and revenue funding
The National Community Land Trust Network lists sources of possible start up and revenue funding.
Pre development Funding
Community Led Housing - Get Funding
The National Community Land Trust Network Cohesive Communities Fund
Publications from community led housing organisations
Community Land Trusts (CLT)
CLT Handbook (free to members)
New Co-operative and Community Led Homes, (2017) CCH. Nic Bliss and Blasé Lambert
The Cohousing Handbook Scotthanson, Chris & Kelly (2005)
Community led housing
Legal formats for community groups
All Community Led Housing Groups must be legally incorporated.
There are four models that you can use:
- Community Benefit Society, (also known as an Industrial and Provident Society for the Benefit of the Community). Must be registered with the Financial Conduct Authority
- Community Interest Company Ltd. by Guarantee (CIC). Must be registered with the Company Interest Company Regulator
- Company Ltd. by Guarantee which is also a registered Charity; Must be registered with Companies House and the Charity Commission
- Company Ltd. by Guarantee (but only if it has custodian member of the constitution to ensure the asset lock cannot be voted out)
Community Land Trusts resources
New co-operative and community led homes
Video resources from community led housing organisations
Community land trusts
National CLT Network - how to set up a CLT
Co-operative and mutual housing societies
Confederation of Co-operative Housing