Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Curtilage listing

Curtilage listed or 'listed by association' are terms used to describe detached buildings within the curtilage of a listed building.

Some buildings or structures within the grounds or 'curtilage' of a listed house will also be subject to the same laws and controls as the listed building itself.

This means that curtilage listed structures receive the same level of protection as the principal listed building.

Find if a building is curtilage listed

Checking if a building or structure is curtilage listed can be quite difficult.

The list entry principal listed building is only a means of identifying the listed building and is not a full list of everything that is covered by the listing. It may not mention any or all of the other structures associated with that building, including those that are curtilage listed.

From 26 June 2013 some new list entries, or list entries amended after that date, may expressly exclude such curtilage buildings from protection.

Check if a building is listed

You can check if a building, group of buildings or other structure are listed and the date when they were listed by searching our constraints maps (opens new window).

You can also search for all listed buildings and structures in England on the National Heritage List for England (NHLE).

What can be curtilage listed

This part of listed building law is quite complex and we can only give general guidance here. You can find detailed guidance on listed buildings and curtilage on the Historic England website.

Curtilage listed structures can include:

  • boundary walls
  • railings and gates
  • outbuildings
  • farm buildings
  • coach houses and stables
  • garages
  • lodges
  • workers cottages

They will not usually be included in the listing description for the listed building.

You will not find these buildings highlighted during the standard 'searches' when you buy the property.

Curtilage structures

The curtilage of a building (the principal building) is in general terms any area of land and other buildings that is around and associated with that principal building.

Something will generally be 'curtilage listed' if:

  • is located within the principal listed building's curtilage, which forms part of its land and has done so since before 1 July 1948
  • was in the same ownership as the principal listed building at the time that building was listed
  • was ancillary to the principal listed building at the time that building was listed

Works that need permission

If a building is curtilage listed, you'll need to apply for listed building consent if you want to carry out any works that involve alternation or demolition.