Information for anyone who is concerned that an adult may be at risk of abuse or neglect.
|An adult who is at risk is someone who:
- Needs care and support, whether or not the council provides it
- Is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
- As a result can't protect themselves from abuse or neglect because of their care and support needs
Report adult abuse
If you are concerned that an adult is being harmed or neglected or is at risk you can find information on how to report it on the Essex Safeguarding Adults Board (ESAB) site.
If you are worried that there is an immediate risk of harm to an adult then contact the Police.
What is adult abuse and neglect
Abuse is when anyone violates someone else's human and civil rights. The abuse might not be done on purpose but the most important thing is whether the adult at risk has been harmed. People can be abused in different ways.
- Physical abuse
- Domestic violence
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological / Emotional abuse
- Financial abuse
- Modern Slavery
- Neglect and acts of omission
- Discriminatory abuse
- Organisational abuse
- Self neglect
Abuse can happen in many places:
- At home
- In sheltered housing
- In supported living settings
- At day centres and other day services
- In care homes
- In hospitals
- Wherever anyone depends on care from other people