Monthly updates to the electoral register
The electoral register is updated every month.
Our Electoral services team make monthly updates to the register up until our Annual canvass of households. Any amendments made in this process will show in the register of 1 December. The credit reference agencies receive a copy of all monthly updates and the full revised register so they can update their records.
The table below explains when we must receive your application and any other additional evidence that we ask for, for each monthly update. Your name may take up to six weeks to show on the register of electors, depending on when you register.
Monthly updates deadlines
At election time there is an exception to the normal deadline rule when any eligible elector may make an application to be added to the register up to 12 working days before the election.
The timetable for Rolling Registration applications for 2024 is:
Forms received by
Date added to the register
Monday 11 December 2023
|Tuesday 2 January 2024|
Wednesday 10 January 2024
|Thursday 1 February 2024|
Thursday 8 February 2024
|Friday 1 March 2024|
Monday 11 March 2024
|Tuesday 2 April 2024|
Tuesday 9 April 2024
|Wednesday 1 May 2024|
Friday 10 May 2024
|Monday 3 June 2024|
Friday 7 June 2024
|Monday 1 July 2024|
Wednesday 10 July 2024
|Thursday 1 August 2024|
|Friday 9 August 2024|
Monday 2 September 2024
- The 1 December is the date of the publication of a full revised register that is sent to certain statutory bodies, main political parties, and credit reference agencies on demand, in accordance with the legislation. Monthly updates of amendments, deletions and additions are also sent on the date updates legally take effect (first working day of the month).
- In the event of an election, the next monthly addition will change to 6 days before an election. The deadline for applications will be 12 working days before the election.
Securing your vote
In order to ensure the process is correct, up to date and compliant we do a great deal of work such as:
- We write to all electors to confirm we have added or amended their details to the register
- We send your added or amended details within 5 working days to the credit reference agencies, so they can update their records
- We carry out regular legal reviews of any electors we have reason to believe have moved away so to maintain an accurate register
- We conduct reviews as necessary to query an elector's nationality or other entitlement to be registered such as right to remain in this country
- We cross-check other council databases as necessary to determine registration
- Match with the Department of Work and Pensions database to satisfy the identity of an elector before they are added to the register
- We seek to refresh all absent voters signature every 5 years and with all postal vote applications we gather the electors data of birth and signature and write to confirm we have processed such requests
- We liaise with the police about any suspicious registering or voting activities