Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Disclosure of criminal convictions

When you apply for any of our jobs you must tell us about any unspent criminal convictions you have.

To apply for a job with the Council you must tell us about any unspent criminal convictions you have in accordance with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. When applying for certain jobs, you will need to declare spent convictions (see item 2 below).

The information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence and will only be considered in respect of the job for which you are applying.

If you disclose a conviction this does not necessarily mean that you will not be considered for the post. The Council will follow the A.C.A.S. Code of Guidance, particularly where the offence is considered to be significant as to make you unsuitable for the type of work required.

  1. You will need carefully read the notes on this page and then enter any convictions in Section 7 of your application form.
  2. If you are applying for a job in any of the following areas you must also state spent convictions.
    • Accountants, solicitors, nurses
    • If you are likely to be in regular contact with people less than 18 years of age or over 65 or people who are blind or who cannot hear or speak or are suffering from mental illness.

Disclosure of Criminal Convictions

You must disclose all 'unspent' convictions and 'spent' convictions for certain posts (see item 2 above). Details of relevant convictions and time periods are as follows:

SentenceBecomes spent after
For a sentence of imprisonment or youth custody exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 30 months10 years
For a sentence of imprisonment or youth custody not exceeding 6 months7 years
For a sentence or borstal training7 years
For a fine or other sentence not otherwise covered in this table5 years
For an absolute discharge6 months
For a probation order, conditional discharge or Bind over, and for fit person orders, supervision care orders under the Children and Young Persons Acts (and their equivalents in Scotland)1 year, or until the order expires (whichever is the orders or longer)
For cashiering, discharge with ignominy or dismissal with disgrace from the Armed Forces10 years
For simple dismissal from the Armed Forces7 years
For detention by the Armed Forces5 years


For detention by direction of the Home Secretary
For a period exceeding 6 months but not
exceeding 30 months
5 years
For a period not exceeding 6 months3 years
For a detention centre order3 years
For a remand home order, an approved school  order, or an attendance centre order  the order expiresThe period of the order plus a further year after
plus a further year afterThe period of the order plus a further 2 years after the order expires (with a minimum of 5 years from the date of conviction)

Further notes

  1. A sentence of more than 30 months imprisonment or youth custody can never become spent.
  2. If you were under 17 years of age on the date of conviction, for any of the sentences, except those under the heading 'For detention by direction of the Home Secretary', please halve the period shown in the right hand column.

Additional information

► Telling employers about your conviction - GOV.UK guidance

► Request a basic DBS check - GOV.UK guidance