Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Car user allowances

We'll pay you a user car allowance if travel is a regular part of your job.

These are the  rates are for essential car allowances as based on the National Joint Council agreement.  The rates are set out below are effective from 1 April 2010.


Engine capacity: 451-999cc
Lump sum per annum (payable monthly in arrears): £846 


Engine capacity: 1000-1199cc
Lump sum per annum (payable monthly in arrears): £963 


Engine capacity: 1200-1450cc
Lump sum per annum (payable monthly in arrears): £1,239


Mileage rates

The following standard authority rates apply to all council business mileage incurred by officers classified as either essential or casual users.  They reflect the current HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) mileage rates and as such will be amended in accordance with any future updates:


Type of vehicle




First 10,000 miles per annum

45p per mile

Subsequent miles per annum

(above 10,000 miles)

25p per mile



24p per mile



20p per mile


Passenger rates

If an officer carries any other employees (this includes Members) in their own car or van on council business journeys, they can claim passenger payments of 5p per passenger per business mile. The passenger(s) must be employees and they must also be travelling on council business journeys.


Car parking

You may claim any reasonable car parking charges but you must provide any receipts.