Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

How to apply

Apply for an HMO licence

You can  download an application form (Word doc) [754KB] to print and fill in by hand

Your printed form can then be returned by post to:

Environmental Health
Uttlesford District Council
London Road
Saffron Walden
CB11 4ER

or scanned and emailed to

You will need to submit copies of the following with your application:

  • a current Gas Safety Certificate (if there is a gas supply)
  • an Electrical Condition Installation Report (EICR) less than five years old
  • the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property (unless it is exempt)
  • Test certificates for the fire alarm and emergency lighting systems if applicable
  • a sketch plan of each floor showing the layout and dimensions of each room, and the position of fire doors and heat and smoke detectors and sounders. Identify each room used for sleeping accommodation with a number, and indicate any areas with a ceiling height of less than 1.5m
  • copy of tenancy agreement
  • the correct fee

How much does it cost?

The fee payable by the applicant to cover the cost of processing the licence application and inspecting the property to determine whether it meets the relevant standards is:

Fees and charges - Homes of multiple occupancy licensing fees

Part of the fee is payable on application, and part on issue of the licence. A discount of 5% is offered on valid applications that are received without a request from the Council.

How to pay

To pay by credit or debit card telephone 01799 510510. Please quote your name as a reference. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

What is the procedure?

Once we have received your application form and fee, we will check to see if we have everything we need for a valid application.  Once the application is deemed valid, we will contact you to arrange an inspection of the property. In the meantime we will carry out checks that the licence holder and manager are 'fit and proper' persons. At the inspection access must be available to all areas. In exceptional circumstances a licence may be issued prior to inspection.

Information about the council's standards for licensed HMOs can be found in the following documents:

You can still apply for a licence even if the HMO does not yet meet the required standards.The inspector will advise if any additional works or amenities are needed.

A licence will be granted provided that:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

If the above are satisfactory we will send a notice of intent to grant a licence to all relevant parties giving 14 days to make representation. If no representation is received we will issue the licence. Conditions may be added to the licence requiring certain improvements to be made.

Each HMO licence will be listed in the Register of Licences, which is available for inspection by members of the public at all reasonable times.

By law, this register will include the names and addresses of the licence holder and manager.