Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) has replaced the national Council Tax Benefit scheme and is provided to people on low incomes to help with their Council Tax bill.

You can apply for Local Council Tax Support if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:

  • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner's income
  • If your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Each year the council must consult on the proposed scheme for the following year.

The results of the consultation on the council's LCTS scheme for 2024-25 (PDF) [2MB] were considered by councillors and the scheme was agreed by Cabinet on 2 November 2023.

Local Council Tax Support - application forms and documents


Changes to Council Tax Benefit

From the 1st April 2013 Council Tax Benefit was abolished and replaced instead with a Localised Council Tax Support Scheme (LCTS). This change only affected Working Age claimants. Pensioners are protected from this change.

Each Local Authority gets a fixed yearly payment from Central Government to pay the Local Council Tax Support to the entitled residents. Government funding allocated to councils for LCTS has fallen to below 90% of its previous Council Tax Benefit spend. Uttlesford District Council has worked in conjunction with other Essex Authorities to determine who would be entitled to have their Council Tax charge reduced, taking into account the funding cut and protecting pensioners.


Go straight to our other related services

Additional Information