Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Animal licensing

Apply for a licence to run a boarding kennel or cattery, run a riding establishment or sell pet animals. There are also separate licences available for dangerous wild animals and zoos.

On 1 October 2018, the The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force. This changes the way some activities involving animals are licensed and regulated.

Who it affects

If you carry out any of these activities, you'll need a licence.

The regulations affect:

  • riding schools
  • pet shops
  • dog breeders
  • kennels
  • catteries
  • dog home boarders
  • dog day care facilities
  • anyone keeping or training animals for exhibition

There are also separate licences available for:

  • dangerous wild animals (DWA)
  • zoos

Check a licence

If you wish to know if a business is currently licensed, you can call us on 01799 510510 or email

Apply or renew a licence

You can apply for a new licence, or renew an existing licence, using our online applications or by downloading and sending us an application form.

Licence fees

There's a charge for each licence.

About our animal welfare licensing fees.

Apply online

The online application forms will require you to provide information to support your application.

If you are unable to complete your application at the first attempt, you can save the form and return to complete the form within 28 days, provided you have supplied a valid email address. You will then be sent a link to enable you to pick up where you left off.

Animal Boarding Licence online application

Breeding and Sale of Dogs Licence online application

Hiring out Horses Licence online application

Pet Vending Licence online application

Performing Animals Licence online application

Other licences / applying for more that one activity?

Apply using PDF forms

You will need to complete forms 1 (Standard Introductory Section) and 2 (Declaration Section), along with the relevant application form for the activity you intend to carry out.

You must complete both forms:

► 1. Standard introductory section (PDF) [204KB]  (this form is compulsory for all applications)

► 2. Declaration section (PDF) [61KB]  (this form is compulsory for all applications)

Then you must complete the relevant form for:

Animal boarding application form (PDF) [256KB]

Breeding and sale of dogs application form (PDF) [263KB]

Hiring out horses application form (PDF) [291KB]

Pet vending application form (PDF) [286KB]

Performing animals application form (PDF) [279KB]

Please send your completed application to us. You can send it by:

Applying for more than one activity

If you are wanting to apply for more than one activity (for example a Riding School with an attached Cattery), then please contact our Environmental Health team to discuss the different options available.

If you would like to apply for a Zoo Licence or Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA) Licence, then please contact us to discuss the application process.


Regulations- Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) 2018 on

Animal Welfare Act 2006 on

The guidance for local authority inspectors on licensing activities involving animals is available on GOV.UK