Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Financial management advice

On this page you will find help for anyone struggling with money due to the recent recession's effects on the UK economy and the welfare reforms, as well as some useful contacts from whom you can obtain free advice.


Free benefit and pension entitlement check

Use the resources on  the online benefit calculators page to help calculate the benefits you might be entitled to if you live in the Uttlesford District.

Use the online benefit calculators

Other advice

Citizens Advice

You can still visit or phone Citizens Advice to find out, for free, if you are missing out on any benefits.

You will need to have the following details to hand:

  • Your earnings, net and gross
  • Any benefits or tax credits you are currently receiving, with values
  • Any maintenance payments you are receiving, with values
  • Any other income you are receiving, e.g. pension
  • Any savings you have, e.g. ISAs, National Savings Certificates, capital and income bonds, life insurance policies, shares, etc.
  • Details of any mortgage
  • Details of any rent payments
  • Your home's council tax band and value

Citizens Advice provides advice free of charge on all manner of issues, including what to do if you are struggling financially.

There is a permanent branch in Saffron Walden and drop-in sessions in both Dunmow and Thaxted.

  • Saffron Walden
    Barnard's Yard at the top of the High Street. Call 01799 618840
  • Great Dunmow
    The Chestnuts, Suite 8, 4 Stortford Road, Great Dunmow, Essex CM6 1DA.  Call 01799 618840
  • Thaxted
    Thaxted Information Centre, Town Street, Thaxted

Visit the Uttlesford Citizens Advice website for further details and opening times.

State Pension calculator

Calculate when you'll reach State Pension age or Pension Credit qualifying age and how much you may get in today's money for your basic State Pension using the GOV.UK State Pension calculator.

Additional State Pension

If you reach State Pension age before 6 April 2016 you may be eligible for additional State Pension. The Additional State Pension is an extra amount of money you could get with your basic State Pension. It's based on your National Insurance contributions. Find out more on GOV.UK.

Sources of help

The current economic climate means many individuals and families are struggling to stay on top of rent and tax payments, as their finances are stretched to breaking point. An increase in redundancies and a higher cost of borrowing, along with generally higher prices for food and fuel, is putting tremendous pressure on millions of people across the country.

Although getting into debt is extremely stressful, and it can be tempting to simply pretend that it's not happening, the golden rule you should remember when struggling financially is "do not ignore the problem".

Burying your head in the sand will not improve your situation; in fact it is likely to lead to even more debt.

The following tips should help you stabilise your financial situation:

Contact the organisation you owe money to.
Tell them you're having problems - they are likely to have mechanisms in place for scenarios such as yours and will be able to discuss options for repaying what you owe.

Pay priority debts first.
These could be your mortgage, rent, council tax, or gas or electricity arrears. A debt adviser should be able to help you budget to keep your finances in check.

Think carefully before borrowing money to repay debts.
Borrowing more money when you're already in debt can be very dangerous. Seek advice before deciding to borrow against your home. You are likely to end up paying more overall and you risk losing your home.

You might be able to get extra time to repay a debt through a court.
This does not always apply, but in some circumstances you may be able to get more time to pay off your arrears. Speak to a debt adviser before considering this approach.

Get free help and advice

The law is complex and your rights and options may vary wildly depending on the type of agreement you have with your lender. However, you can get free help and advice from a number of organisations, some of which are detailed below.

If you are falling behind with rent payments or want to know if you are entitled to benefits you are currently not receiving, the following contacts should help.

Uttlesford District Council

The Council has professional advisers who can offer advice on benefits and housing rent payments, for both council and private tenants. More information on housing benefit and other help available can be found at the Benefits section of the website

Information on housing options and homelessness can be found at the Housing section of the site. You can also get advice by coming to the Council Offices on London Road, Saffron Walden, and asking to speak to the duty housing officer, who can also be called on 01799 510510. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

Full contact details and opening times can be found on the Contact Us page


Peabody provide the following support services:

  • Sorting out rent arrears
  • Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support advice and claims
  • Budgeting support
  • Accessing financial advice

They also offer good quality, affordable homes to rent and buy, as well as care and support services to thousands of people who need extra support.

They provide a range of opportunities for our customers such as training, employment and access to learning so they can improve their prospects, find new opportunities and move on. Shared ownership forms a large part of our business, helping people into home ownership.

Financial Services Authority Money Advice Service

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) is an independent national financial watchdog that offers advice alongside a selection of useful guides and tools related to money management.

The nationwide service aims to provide free and independent information to help consumers needing practical money advice, whatever their financial circumstances. Consumers can view its website here:

The Money Advice Service was set up by the government and is paid for by the financial services industry. Its aim is to enhance the understanding and knowledge of the public about their finances. The Service has an independent Chairman and board appointed by the Financial Services Authority.

The Money Advice Service can be contacted on 0300 500 5000 or email:

National Debtline

The National Debtline offers free, confidential, independent advice. Phone 0808 808 4000 between 9am and 9pm Monday to Friday or 9.30am and 1pm Saturday, or visit for debt advice and information.

Business Debtline

Business Debtline provides free advice and resources to help people deal with their business finances and business debts. Phone 0800 197 6026 between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday, or visit for debt advice and information.

Talk About Debt

Talk About Debt provides free and independent guidance on which of the national debt help charities is best suited to help you with your particular financial situation.

The website offers lots of useful information and tips to help you ensure that you receive the right debt advice to suit your individual needs. Visit

Financial Ombudsman Service

If you have a complaint that you can't resolve with your lender, the Financial Ombudsman Service may be able to help. Phone 020 7964 0500 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday or visit


If your business is struggling to survive in the current unforgiving economic conditions, may be able to help. This government-funded service acts in the best interests of businesses and its business finance and support finder searches for publicly-backed finance or support for your business. You can search for: finance -- e.g. loans, grants and investors or for business support -- e.g. mentoring, consultancy, initiatives. Get started on the GOV.UK business support finder.

Jobcentre Plus

Get advice on work and benefits and hunt for a job at the Jobcentre Plus. Small emergency loans are also available for people in urgent need of cash. The nearest branches to Uttlesford are in Haverhill, Cambridge and Braintree. Call 0800 055 6688 free, between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday to discuss benefits, or 0345 606 0234 during the same hours to discuss job opportunities. You can also find contact details for your nearest jobcentre online at

Business Debt Line

Small businesses falling into arrears can get free, confidential and independent advice by calling the Business Debt Line on 0800 197 6026, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. For more information visit

Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre

Although it may not be an obvious way to make savings, the impartial advice offered by the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre can help you save a significant amount of money from fuel bills, as well as giving you information on grants available for energy efficiency home improvements. Call them on 0800 512015 or visit


This national housing and homelessness charity runs a helpline, has a network of housing centres and works with local Citizens Advice Bureaux to help people with accommodation problems. You can call them free on 0800 800 4444, between 8am and 8pm seven days a week, or visit them at

(Some of the information on this page was sourced from an Office of Fair Trading publication)