Help for those suffering financial hardship

In some cases the council will offer assistance to those struggling with financial difficulties due to unforeseen circumstances or situations out of their control.



Help for those struggling with financial difficulties due to the recent recession's effects on the UK economy, as well as some useful contacts to obtain free advice.

What to do if you can't pay your rent

What to do if you can't pay your Council Tax


Household Support Fund

As part of the nationwide efforts to recover following the pandemic, Essex County Council have been provided with some funding from the government's Household Support Fund (HSF).

This funding will be used to help people with food, fuel and other household costs this winter.

Get help from the HSF


Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF)

This fund has been set up to provide short term relief for our most vulnerable customers who have seen a reduction in the Government support which helped to pay their Council Tax Liability or for those who are suffering financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.

Get help from the EHF


Discretionary Housing Payment

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is an additional payment awarded by local authorities to top up the difference between the housing Benefit (HB) awarded and the actual rental liability to help prevent benefit customers from losing their homes or falling into financial difficulty with the payments.

Find out more about DHP and who qualifies


Additional information

Financial Management Advice - further advice and useful contacts for dealing with debt and the effects of the recession on the UK economy