Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF) - how to apply

How to apply to the EHF, what happens when we have received your application and how to appeal.


How to apply

You will have to complete an application form to apply for help from the fund and provide documents to support your application.  These will include the last two months bank statements for all accounts held or that you have access to and any other documents relevant to your claim (such as doctors letters etc.).

Exceptional Hardship Fund application form (PDF) [288KB]

You can send your completed form and any supporting evidence by email or post to us. 

Home visits and office appointments to complete the application form have been suspended until further notice.

If you are unable to complete the form and have no one in the household who can support you with it please contact us and we will arrange for a phone appointment. Supporting documents will still need to be emailed to us.

If you contact us via email please provide your full name and address so we can locate your account.

What happens next

Both the amount and duration of an award will be determined by the council, and will be based on the evidence you supply and your individual circumstances.

We will notify you of the outcome of each application for Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF) payments in writing within 21 working days, on the provision that all satisfactory information requested has been received. In cases where further information or documentation is required you will be notified of this in writing and a deadline to provide the information by will be given.

Appealing a decision

You may request that your application is reconsidered if you are unhappy with the council's decision. All requests for reconsideration must be made within one calendar month of the original decision notice being issued and will be reconsidered by the Revenues Manager. The outcome of the reconsideration will be made in writing detailing the decision made and the reasons for the decision. After this, if you still feel the council's decision is wrong you can appeal to the local Valuation Tribunal. This is an independent organisation that deals with Council Tax appeals.

To appeal you must contact the Valuation Tribunal (opens new window) within:

  •     two months of the council advising of its decision, or
  •     four months from when you first wrote to us, if you have heard nothing from us