Composting is great for the environment and is now even easier at home with discounted home composting bins available from Essex County Council.
Composting at home is a quick, easy and cost-effective method of clearing away garden waste and making a free supply of compost to use in your garden.
Whether it's vegetable peelings and eggshells from the kitchen, compostable products, shredded paper or the cuttings from the lawnmower, simply throw it in your compost bin and it will gradually break down to produce environmentally-friendly compost.
Get a compost bin
We've teamed up with Essex County Council's Love Essex Team to offer you the opportunity to buy home composting bins, which are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic, at bargain prices.
Find out how to order your compost bin and what to do to get started with home composting on the Love Essex website.
Garden waste tips and ideas
If you have too much garden waste, here are some ideas on what to do:
- add garden waste to your home composter or ask your neighbour about adding it to theirs
- use grass cuttings as mulch
- cut up and compact your garden cuttings and clipping as much as possible to reduce the volume and help store your garden waste
- hold off on some or all of your gardening tasks and wait for a visit by our garden waste weekend skip service
- you can also take garden waste to your local recycling centre
Love Essex has more advice, including some easy to follow instructions on how to make your own compost heap.