Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Planning for your outbuilding

Find out whether you will need to consider planning permission or building regulations when you are installing a shed or outbuilding in your garden.

As a tenant of of Uttlesford District Council you need to obtain permission from us for any alterations/improvements which you wish to make to your home or garden.

Limits and conditions

Outbuildings and garden sheds are considered to be permitted developments.

Whilst they typically won't require planning permission before construction can get underway, there are certain limits and conditions that need to be considered.


  • should cover no more than half of the area that surrounds the original house
  • are not allowed on land in front of a wall that forms the principal elevation
  • will require planning permission if they are within the curtilage of a listed building

Shed height 2.5m

Garden sheds and outbuildings must be one storey, and the height of the eaves cannot exceed 2.5 metres.

Shed height 3m and 4m

Overall height cannot exceed 4 metres if a dual pitched roof is present or 3 metres with any other type of roof.

Shed boundary limits

If a garden shed will be situated within 2 metres of a dwelling house boundary, the maximum height is 2.5 metres.


Check if you need permission

You can check whether you need planning permission for your outbuilding by using our permitted development self-assessment form (PDF) [335KB] .

    What you can't install

    You will not be allowed to install:

    • raised platforms
    • balconies
    • verandas

    Building Regulations

    If you're interested in constructing a small, detached building like a garden or tool shed in your garden, it is important to consider building regulations.

    Typically, regulations won't apply if:

    • the internal floor area is no larger than 15 square metres and there are no sleeping accommodations inside
    • the internal floor area is 15-30 square metres in size, building regulations will still be unnecessary as long as there are no sleeping accommodations and the structure is situated at least one metre from any boundary
    • a building that has been constructed from materials that are non-combustible may also be exempt from building regulation approval

    These development allowances  relate to houses only. If you are considering constructing a garden shed or another outbuilding on land next to a maisonette, flats or other building, you should consider guidance for those specific properties.