Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Dog and animal safety

The council provides an animal safety service to promote responsible dog ownership and to enforce local byelaws.

Dog owners need to be aware of the laws regarding dogs, and take responsibility for their dog's actions. We would like to remind owners that under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 it is a criminal offence to allow a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' in a public place or a place where it is not permitted to be. 'Dangerously out of control' is defined as a dog that injures someone or when a person has reasonable apprehension of being bitten. Therefore, should a dog behave aggressively, chase or even jump up, it could be considered dangerously out of control.

If the 'dog is out of control' but not considered threatening or dangerous, the matter can be pursued under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

In both cases, members of the public are advised to contact the Police and/or the council so that the complaint can be investigated. However, please note that the council may be unable to act on an isolated incident.

Further information about the laws around dogs can be found on the Kennel Club website and on our Responsible Dog Ownership page.

Dog control orders

Dog control orders are now in place and penalty notices can be issued if owners fail to clean up after their dogs. Stray dogs will be collected if they are caught and contained.

Dog owners should be aware that their dog MUST be microchipped and wear a collar and tag when out in a public place.

The council also inspects any premise that requires a license under animal related legislation such as dog breeding, boarding, riding establishments, and pet shops.

This is to ensure the welfare of the animals and the safety of the public in such places.

We do not have the power of access to deal with animal welfare issues in private dwellings, and if you have any concerns about any animal you should contact the RSPCA.