Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Apply to close a street

You will need to apply for a Street Closure Order to close a road for an event in Uttlesford.

We charge £36 to apply to close a street for an event. 

How to apply

You will need to check if your event will be affected by any planned roadworks or closures using the Essex County Council future and current roadworks map.

You will also need to: 

  • ensure that most people are happy with your event so remember to ask residents, businesses, your town or parish council
  • make sure that you have a plan for resolving any problems that arise from your discussions with third parties
  • provide a map showing the street(s) that you propose to close and  any diversions you will put in place

Complete an application form

We must receive your application at least 28 days before the date of the event.

Apply for a temporary road closure

You will need to send your completed application form together with your payment and a copy of your map to us at:

Uttlesford District Council
Council Offices
London Road
Saffron Walden
CB11 4ER


Pay for your application

 You will need to pay if your closure is for:

  • a market where stallholders pay for their pitches and the proceeds do not benefit a charity or or not for profit organisation 
  • an event where an entry fee is charged by the organiser and the proceeds do not benefit a charity or or not for profit organisation  

If you need to pay for your event we charge £36 to apply to close a street. 

Pay a temporary road closure fee (opens new window)

Pay by calling our Customer Service Centre.

You will not need to pay for a Street Closure Order for most events. 

You will not need to pay if your closure is for: 

  • an event run by a charity or not for profit organisation
  • a road closure or restriction on a no through road
  • a Remembrance Day event
  • a civic event organised by a town or parish council 
  • a parade, for example, Saffron Walden Carnival parade

After your have applied

When we  have received your application and payment (if you needed to pay) we will look at what you are proposing. We will process your application for road closure and will let you know if there is anything else you need to consider.

To help you prepare Essex County Council has produced a guide to Organising a street event. You may also need to consider whether you need to apply for a Temporary Events Notice