Apply to close a street
You will need to apply for a Street Closure Order to close a road for an event in Uttlesford.
We charge £36 to apply to close a street for an event.
How to apply
You will need to check if your event will be affected by any planned roadworks or closures using the Essex County Council future and current roadworks map.
You will also need to:
- ensure that most people are happy with your event so remember to ask residents, businesses, your town or parish council
- make sure that you have a plan for resolving any problems that arise from your discussions with third parties
- provide a map showing the street(s) that you propose to close and any diversions you will put in place
Complete an application form
We must receive your application at least 28 days before the date of the event.
You will need to send your completed application form together with your payment and a copy of your map to us at:
Uttlesford District Council
Pay for your application
You will need to pay if your closure is for:
- a market where stallholders pay for their pitches and the proceeds do not benefit a charity or or not for profit organisation
- an event where an entry fee is charged by the organiser and the proceeds do not benefit a charity or or not for profit organisation
If you need to pay for your event we charge £36 to apply to close a street.
Pay by calling our Customer Service Centre.
You will not need to pay for a Street Closure Order for most events.
You will not need to pay if your closure is for:
- an event run by a charity or not for profit organisation
- a road closure or restriction on a no through road
- a Remembrance Day event
- a civic event organised by a town or parish council
- a parade, for example, Saffron Walden Carnival parade
After your have applied
When we have received your application and payment (if you needed to pay) we will look at what you are proposing. We will process your application for road closure and will let you know if there is anything else you need to consider.