Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Energy efficiency in rental properties

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates the energy efficiency and environ-mental impact of a property.

It is rated on a scale from A to G, with A the most efficient and G the least efficient. Properties which have been marketed for sale or let or modified in the last ten years must have an EPC. Individually let rooms in an HMO do not require separate EPCs.

For assured, regulated and domestic agricultural tenancies which started after 1 April 2018 the energy rating must be E or above, unless an exemption is registered. From from 1 April 2020 this will apply to all such tenancies. You must give a copy of the EPC to your tenants, and you cannot evict them using a Section 21 notice if you have not done so.

Certain landlords and tenants may be eligible for energy company grants towards insulation. Contact for more information. If a landlord of an F or G rated property is unable to secure third-party funding, they will need to use their own funds to cover the costs of improving their property to EPC E (or as close as possible) subject to a spending cap of £3,500 (inclusive of VAT). Further information can be found in the Domestic private rented property: minimum energy efficiency standard - landlord guidance 

Excess cold is one of the hazards assessed under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). The council could require you to make improvements to a property's insulation and/or heating if it is unacceptably cold or expensive to heat, even if it has an EPC or exemption.