Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Universal Credit and other benefits

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working age who are on a low income. It is payable whether or not you're in work and includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs.

Browse all the benefits and financial support you could receive on GOV.UK, includes eligibility, appeals, tax credits and Universal Credit below.

Universal Credit:

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living and housing costs. It's paid monthly.

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you're on a low income or need help with your living costs. You could be working (including self-employed or part time) or be out of work.

What is Universal Credit - GOV.UK

Housing Benefit:

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It's being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you're in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Housing Benefit

Local Council Tax Support:

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)is provided to people on low incomes to help with their Council Tax bill.

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

Child Benefit:

Claiming Child Benefit can give a boost to your family budget. Discover how much Child Benefit is, who can claim it and other entitlements you might have.

What is Child Benefit - GOV.UK

Pension Credit:

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you're over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

Pension Credit - GOV.UK

Employment and Support Allowance:

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - GOV.UK

Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - GOV.UK

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children - GOV.UK

Attendance allowance:

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

Attendance Allowance - GOV.UK

Carers Allowance:

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

Carer's Allowance - GOV.UK