Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit available to households of pensionable age and working age households not in receipt of the housing costs element of Universal Credit.

Managing Benefits using a handheld digital device


Manage your benefits online (opens new window)

Make and track a benefits claim, report a change of circumstances and upload additional evidence using our Northgate benefits portal.

You do not need to register to use this service.


Housing Benefit is based on:

  • where you live
  • your circumstances
  • your household size
  • your income (including benefits, pensions and savings).

Proof of all income and capital is required to enable an assessment of Housing Benefit to take place. You will need to download and complete an application form and send it, with all the necessary evidence to support your claim, to the Benefits Section, Uttlesford District Council, London Road, Saffron Walden CB11 4ER.


Housing Benefit application forms

Online Benefit calculators

Housing Benefit can pay all or part of your rent. You must pay your rent while you wait for us to work out your benefit. If you are having difficulties, contact your landlord immediately.

Social Housing

Tenants who rent from a registered social landlord (i.e. from Uttlesford District Council or a Housing Association), whose claim is successful, will receive Housing Benefit. However working age people living in a house with spare bedrooms may have their home assessed as 'under occupied' and will have their Housing Benefit reduced by:

  • 14% for one extra bedroom
  • 25% for two or more extra bedrooms

This reduction in benefit is not applicable to claimants who are of State Pension age.


More information on Housing Benefit and 'under occupied' homes

Private Renting

If you rent from a private landlord and make a new claim for Housing Benefit, you will be paid Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

Local Housing Allowance is the maximum amount that you can receive, and this will be reduced depending on your income, savings and circumstances.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)


Council Tax Reduction 

You may also qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax by means of the Local Council Tax Support scheme.

Uttlesford District Council Local Council Tax Support Scheme (LCTS)

►  Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support application forms


Housing Benefit claims

Find out about how having other persons living with you affects your claim and what to do if you have received overpayments.

Benefit Claims information


Go straight to our other related services

Help for those suffering financial hardship

Council Tax and Benefit

Additional information

Welfare Benefit Changes

Benefit Fraud