Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Empty homes

Uttlesford District Council wants to improve access to decent affordable housing by encouraging and supporting the owners of long term empty homes to bring these much needed homes back into occupation, to the benefit of the whole community.

We are part of a consortium of local authorities which is able to offer financial incentives to bring empty homes back into use. The PLACE scheme (Private Lease Agreements Converting Empties) has been set up to offer loans to help bring empty dwellings up to the government's Decent Homes Standard

Interest-free loans are available to allow a dwelling to be renovated for sale or private letting by the owner.

Please see the PLACE empty homes loan scheme for further information.

The council will consider the use of enforcement action where an owner persists in leaving a property empty, there is a danger to public safety, or an empty property is seriously overgrown or dilapidated. This may include the use of Compulsory Purchase or Empty Dwelling Management Orders.