Sheltered Accommodation

We have a range of sheltered housing which is available to rent when a vacancy occurs.

There are also a number of Housing Association-owned sheltered accommodation units available in the district. Applications should be made through our normal housing application procedure.

►  I want to apply for a Council or Housing Association Home

On this page:

Where can I find sheltered accommodation?
Is sheltered accommodation suitable for me?
Why sheltered housing?
Service Levels
Communal Facilities
Can I still have a pet?


Where can I find sheltered accommodation?

There are a number of sheltered accommodation sites in the district, details of which can be found in the two lists below:

Council-owned sheltered accommodation list

Housing Association-owned sheltered accommodation (PDF 12Kb)

Is sheltered accommodation suitable for me?

The accommodation is intended for occupation usually by people aged 60 and above who are able to live independently. The support of a sheltered housing officer is available during working hours and there is the support of a 24 hours alarm call system.

Why sheltered housing?

Persons in sheltered housing are considered to be like any other council tenants but have the additional support of living in a friendly and secure community environment whilst still having your own front door, privacy and independence.

Service Levels

If the sheltered housing officer does not get a response from your home on the scheduled visit they are required to gain access using their master keys to ensure your welfare.

Communal Facilities

All communal facilities are the responsibility of the sheltered housing officer.
These include:

  • 24 hours alarm service for emergency support
  • Social activities
  • Residents group (where feasible)
  • residents communal lounge
  • Communal gardens
  • Guest room, (for visitors)
  • Free laundry facilities
  • Lifts (where feasible)
  • Door entry system
  • CCTV in communal areas
  • Smoke alarm system



It should be noted that if you are on a low income there may be help with the rent. The sheltered housing officer will advise you who to contact in the housing benefit section of the council.

All sheltered tenants are liable to pay a charge for the support given by the sheltered housing officers. However if a tenant is in receipt of housing benefit, some of this charge will be paid by Essex County Council. All tenants are also required to pay for the Intensive Housing Management service they receive from the sheltered housing officers. If a tenant is in receipt of full housing benefit then this charge will be covered by housing benefit.

In addition to the rent, each tenant is responsible for the payment of electricity and gas consumption within their flat ( where relevant) In addition sheltered tenants will have to pay their water charges (where relevant).These charges are not covered by housing benefit.

Some sheltered sites benefit from a communal TV licence for which the sheltered housing officer will collect the reduced licence fee each year.


You should report to the housing repairs service any defects which may occur or repairs needed to dwellings. Your condition of tenancy booklet outlines the council's and your responsibilities. Call the housing repairs service on 01799 510510 or go to:

Repairs to Council Properties


The council is anxious that all tenants enjoy their homes, therefore co-operation is sought from all tenants to help ensure that this happens. It would be very helpful to be considerate regarding volume levels when using TV or radio sets.

Anti-Social Behaviour in Uttlesford

Great care must be taken when using equipment, which may be likely to cause risk of fire or damage to the decoration or fabric of the premises. In the interests of safety, internal and communal passages must be kept free of obstructions. Accordingly mats or furniture cannot be allowed to be placed in communal passages.


In order for emergency access to a tenant's flat it is important that tenants do not affix any door bolts or locks to the premises additional to those already provided by the council. Also it is important to remove the key from the front door after locking. In the interests of the tenants, for emergency purposes only sheltered housing officers have master keys for all dwellings.

Tenants are requested to notify the sheltered housing officer if they are going to be away from home overnight or on holiday. This is so that fire regulations are complied with by the council.

Can I still have a pet?

The council does not object to you keeping a pet as long as it does not cause a nuisance to others. The council cannot assist you in looking after any pet so if you are unwell or away from the site, you must make your own arrangements for your pet.

Additional Information

Housing Benefits
Sheltered Housing Service Standards (PDF) [100KB]
Apply for a Council or Housing Association Home
Fees and charges - Housing service