Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Help paying your Council Tax, rent and bills

What to do if you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax or housing rent or are struggling with bills and debt.

We're aware that many tenants' financial circumstances have changed because of the cost of living crisis.

Help for our tenants

We are following government advice and are contacting and working with any tenants who are having problems paying their rent at this time.

If you are having trouble paying the rent, please talk to your rent officer as soon as you can - they can advise you on the best way forward.  If you have other issues which are preventing you from managing your home, we can put you in contact with organisations and services which can support you. 

It is always better to not get to the stage where eviction is looming, so if you are feeling things are getting out of control we can put you in touch with Peabody or Citizens Advice. These services will help you to get your finances in order, manage debts and get payments back on an even footing. This is a good way to manage your tenancy before it becomes urgent.

When a tenancy is at high risk, the council works closely with the Trailblazer Mentor project, run by Essex County Council and Peabody. Trailblazer provides support through the legal process to help tenants keep their home, and offers advice on what to do next and services which may be available. Through its work with Trailblazer, the council prevented 24 tenants, including some who were due for eviction, from losing their homes last year.

You should contact our Housing team as soon as possible if you're having problems paying your Council Tax or housing rent.

Other support

Some of the support available to you.

Cost of living support

We know that it is a difficult time for everyone right now as the rising cost of everything is making it difficult to make ends meet. We have information on some of the help that is available within the district, some handy hints and tips to help you, and general information to lighten the load.

Money, debt and benefits

Help with money and debt problems and information on organisations that offer free help on

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) has replaced the national Council Tax Benefit scheme and is provided to people on low incomes to help with their Council Tax bill.

Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF)

This fund has been set up to support our most vulnerable people who have seen a reduction in the government support which helped to pay their Council Tax Liability or for those who are suffering financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.

Uttlesford household support scheme

The cost-of-living crisis is impacting on all residents across our district and the government have put in a number of schemes to support people with these large increases, particularly the cost of energy.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It's being replaced by Universal Credit.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.