Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Tenants' home improvements

You have the right to carry out alterations and improvements to your home. However you must obtain prior written permission from us before you undertake alterations to your home. We will not withhold permission without good reason.

Making alterations to your home

Alterations that will require prior written agreement may include for example:

  • structural alterations to walls or doorways
  • erecting sheds, garages or forming hard standings
  • decorating the outside of your home
  • removing trees or hedges
  • erecting TV, satellite or CB aerials
  • installing kitchens, bathroom suites, showers
  • installing of cat flaps
  • installing or removing fires/fire places

The above list is not extensive, if you are considering carrying out any alteration to your home; you must first ask the Housing Department for permission. Most permission requests will require a visit from our Area Surveyor before permission can be granted, this is to ensure that you are offered the correct information and advice about the type of alteration you are proposing.

You are responsible for the future repairs and maintenance of any improvement/alteration you carry out to your home.

You are responsible for the reinstatement of any unauthorised or unsafe alterations that you have made and will be recharged if we have to make good any alterations you have carried out.

You are responsible for ensuring that the project is acceptable by planning and building regulations departments- failure to do so may suffer enforcement action at a later date. Please read information available on the Planning pages

All approved alterations must be carried out by a competent contractor registered with the correct governing body** and post inspected by a Council employee within 3 months otherwise another application must be approved.

You must not carry out work until written permission has been granted, failure to comply is a breach of your tenancy and any reinstatement costs could be recharged to return the property to its original state.

For advice about the permission procedure please phone the Surveyors Team on 01799 510510, or to submit a permission request please complete the 'Request for Permission Form' and return to the Council via email or hardcopy.


** Changes to gas or oil heating- Gas safe or Oftec registered,  Replacement windows or doors- FENSA Certificate.


► Permission for Improvements or Alterations to Council Property

► Guidance Notes - Permission for Improvements or Alterations to Council Property

Additional information

Your Rights and Responsibilities