Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Help with paying your rent

What to do if you are having difficulty paying your rent or are struggling with bills and debt.

We're aware that many tenants' financial circumstances have changed because of coronavirus.

We are following government advice and are contacting and working with any tenants who are having problems paying their rent at this time.

You should contact our Housing team as soon as possible if you're having problems paying your rent.


Some of the support available to you.

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) has replaced the national Council Tax Benefit scheme and is provided to people on low incomes to help with their Council Tax bill.

Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF)

This fund has been set up to support our most vulnerable people who have seen a reduction in the government support which helped to pay their Council Tax Liability or for those who are suffering financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.

Uttlesford household support scheme

The cost-of-living crisis is impacting on all residents across our district and the government have put in a number of schemes to support people with these large increases, particularly the cost of energy.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It's being replaced by Universal Credit.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.