Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Advice and support to help manage the rising cost of living.

Tenancy sustainment

Whether you are a new or existing tenant, the council's Tenancy Sustainment service can advise, guide and assist you to manage your tenancy successfully.

If you are having trouble paying the rent, please talk to your rent officer as soon as you can - they can advise you on the best way forward.  If you have other issues which are preventing you from managing your home, we can put you in contact with organisations and services which can support you. 

It is always better to not get to the stage where eviction is looming, so if you are feeling things are getting out of control we can put you in touch with Peabody or Citizens Advice. These services will help you to get your finances in order, manage debts and get payments back on an even footing. This is a good way to manage your tenancy before it becomes urgent.

When a tenancy is at high risk, the council works closely with the Trailblazer Mentor project, run by Essex County Council and Peabody. Trailblazer provides support through the legal process to help tenants keep their home, and offers advice on what to do next and services which may be available. Through its work with Trailblazer, the council prevented 24 tenants, including some who were due for eviction, from losing their homes last year.