Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Recovery procedures explained

Information regarding what happens if you have not paid your council tax.

When do I have to pay my council tax?

Council tax is a yearly charge which is normally paid in 10 instalments starting in April. We send you an annual bill at least 14 days before you make your first payment. Your monthly payment dates and instalment amounts are given on your bill. Any amendments to your council tax account will result in an adjusted bill being sent to you. Payment should be made in accordance with the instalments listed on your latest bill.

If you wish to pay in 12 instalments, you must write to us and request this as soon as possible.  If you have received your annual bill, you will need to pay the 1 April instalment and we will then arrange for the remaining payments to be spread over the next 11 months.

What happens if I don't pay on time?

If you do not pay an instalment on time you will be sent a reminder notice. If you pay the arrears on the reminder within seven days your instalments will continue as scheduled. If you do not comply with the reminder notice a summons will be issued without further notice and costs will be incurred. Please try to pay your instalments on the correct date, as if you fail to pay on time on two further occasions your instalments will be withdrawn and the full unpaid balance to the end of the financial year will become due and payable.

If you have had two reminders

If you have been sent two reminders in one year and fail to pay a subsequent instalment on time, you will lose your right to pay by instalments. This will happen even if you have complied with the previous reminders and paid the overdue instalments within seven days. If you lose your right to pay by instalments you will be sent a final notice requesting payment, in one lump sum, of the year's outstanding council tax.


What happens if I don't pay the amount on the final notice?

The summons notice

If it goes to court

Duty to supply information once a Liability Order has been granted

Can I pay the arrears by agreeing a payment plan?

What powers does the Council have to enforce the liability order?

What will happen when the Enforcement Agent calls at my home?

Prison - the last resort


What to think about at every stage

If you are having difficulty in paying your council tax, get in touch with the Council immediately. Remember we will always try to make a payment plan with you, but we will not agree to payments which leave you falling further behind into even more arrears.  You may be entitled to a reduction, benefits, discount, or relief.  Please visit our Local Council Tax Support page.

Discuss or check your financial position with us to see if you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax bill. If you are on a low income you may qualify for council tax benefit.

If you pay by Direct Debit, you save time, money and you do not run the risk of falling behind as payments are made for you by your bank or building society. You can select to pay on the 1st or 15th of the month, whichever suits you better:

If you wish to set up a Direct Debit, please contact us on 01799 510510. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

If you have any queries regarding the Recovery Procedures, or you have received a notice from the Council please contact us. You can find details of how to contact us at the foot of this page.