Toggle menu

Cost of living support

Financial advice and emotional support on how you can ease the cost of living squeeze.

Recovery procedures explained

Information regarding what happens if you have not paid your Council Tax.

When do I have to pay my Council Tax?

What happens if I don't pay on time?

If you have had two reminders

What happens if I don't pay the amount on the final notice?

The summons notice

If it goes to court

What happens if you have not paid your Council Tax

Duty to supply information once a Liability Order has been granted

Once a Liability Order has been granted the council will write to you for further information, this will include:

  • employment details


  • if your income is not obtained from employed or self-employed work please provide details from where or whom you receive money to live on from (such as maintenance, pensions, DWP benefits)

This information is being requested under Regulation 36 of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992, made under the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

If you simply fail to supply the requested information, on conviction you would be liable to a fine on Level 1 of the standard scale as set out in S48 Criminal Justice Act 1982 (Chapter 48 Part 3), currently up to £500.

If you knowingly supply false information, that is, lied about your means/employment, then on conviction the fine would be upon Level 2 of the same scale, that is, up to £1000.  You would also be liable to pay any Legal costs incurred by the council in these proceedings

If your Council Tax account is already subject to a Liability Order, and you have not already provided the information or there has been a change in your circumstances, you will be issued with a letter requesting the information. You will only be issued with one reminder letter, if the form is not returned to us or the debt cleared in full, your account will be passed to the Legal Team to start prosecution proceedings against you.

If you have lost the form please contact the Recovery Team on 01799 510510. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

Alternatively you can download and complete an income and expenditure form (PDF) [204KB]  or fill in the Means enquiry form online.

Can I pay the arrears by agreeing a payment plan?

We will consider any offer to repay your arrears. However, this will include any summons and liability order costs, if applicable. A liability order will also be sought as security against you defaulting on the payments. If you agree to a payment plan you must make the payments on time, otherwise further recovery action will take place. 

We will request that you complete an income and expenditure form (PDF) [204KB]  before any offer is accepted. 

What powers does the council have to enforce the liability order?

What will happen when the Enforcement Agent calls at my home?

Prison - the last resort

What to think about at every stage

If you are having difficulty in paying your Council Tax, get in touch with the council immediately.

Remember we will always try to make a payment plan with you, but we will not agree to payments which leave you falling further behind into even more arrears.  You may be entitled to a reduction, benefits, discount, or relief.  Please visit our Local Council Tax Support page for more information.

Discuss or check your financial position with us to see if you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax bill. If you are on a low income you may qualify for Council Tax benefit.

If you pay by Direct Debit, you save time, money and you do not run the risk of falling behind as payments are made for you by your bank or building society. You can select to pay on the 1st or 15th of the month, whichever suits you better:

If you wish to set up a Direct Debit, please contact us on 01799 510510. You can also get in touch with us using alternative methods via our contact us page.

If you have any queries regarding the recovery procedures, or you have received a notice from the council please contact us.